Friday, February 11, 2011

Wharton Topic 2- Personal Learning Environment

Nathaniel Wharton
EDG6931
Topic #2

To provide a valid explanation of my personal learning environment, I feel obliged to preface this choice with a brief description of the community in which I teach. According to the latest census, the median family income is approximately $35,000. Along with being economically depressed, it is estimated that only 13% of the population has obtained a college degree. Due to the lack of economic and educational opportunities for residents, much of the most current information is not acquired by residents. Within my science curriculum, I try to build upon action projects to assist students in learning, while passing the information to their guardians.

One of the largest issues our country is facing is the “energy crisis”, which will only grow exponentially over the next decade. This exponential growth in demand for energy will result in higher energy prices. In an already financially disadvantaged area, family budgets will continue to decrease to meet the increasing energy cost. To help prepare my students and their families for the future, I decided to purse Increasing the Energy Efficiency of Homes as my topic of inquiry upon which I hope to build a personal learning environment.

Upon looking over this coursework, I decided to undertake a project that will prove to be educational, interesting, and beneficial to the students and residents of my district. This information will prove beneficial to my family, my fellow residents, and ultimately the environment as a whole. To begin this project, I have issued an “Energy Inventory”, where students interview and collect data about their energy usage. As an example of the need for this project in my ninth period class, there are 624 light bulbs in 22 student homes, which are incandescent versus the energy saving compact fluorescent bulbs. Personally, I am hoping that this PLE will assist me in creating a learning environment for myself, along with members of the community for saving energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment